Marybow Loves Bow
On Valentine’s Day, we announced that we will soon be sharing with you our community love for Bow, E3 in East London.
We are excited to share with you that we are now one of the supporters of The Bow Food Bank (Registered Charity 1162185).
What is The Bow Food Bank?
The Bow Foodbank is an independent food bank in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, founded in 2014. Their mission is to alleviate food poverty in Bow by providing direct and long-term help of food and support to anyone in need. It is based at St Mary & Holy Trinity Church on Bow Road.
We love them because they are so unique.
The Bow Food Bank is unlike most food banks. For example:
- It does not require the clients to be referred (ie, to first apply for a voucher);
- Clients may visit up to 15 times per year even if they are on benefits (vs some places just 3x year and only if in emergency with a voucher);
- It allows the clients to choose their own food, not distributing pre-packaged parcels;
- It offers free legal and benefits advice, and
- Commits to making clients feel welcome by proactively minimising the ‘charity’ feel.
They are growing rapidly and need every help.
In the first month of operation, the Food Bank served 81 clients. Now, they regularly provide food to 70-80 clients and their families per week.
Being independent, they need every help – financial, food, and/or your time. Each basket of food distributed (a choice of 10 items from available stock) costs approximately £6.00. A donation of just £12.00 a month would enable them to guarantee a basket of food every fortnight to people in need. A regular donation of £24.00 would provide a basket every week.
Will you help?
The Bow Foodbank is open every Monday, throughout the year, between 9.30am and 12.30pm at St Mary & Holy Trinity Church, 230 Bow Road, London E3 3AH.